Millions of adoptable pets enter US animal shelters every year, and community cat populations are growing exponentially in our urban and rural communities. Despite the tireless efforts of municipal shelters, humane societies, rescue groups and volunteers, euthanasia remains the principal means for controlling pet overpopulation.
Our goal is to change that by proving access to affordable options to help Iowans get their companion animals spayed and neutered, preventing litters of unwanted kittens and puppies that flood area animal shelters each year.
Mission - Vision - Values
The mission of Iowa Humane Alliance is to cultivate and forge partnerships with humane organizations, municipalities, veterinarians and compassionate individuals to connect the people of Iowa to affordable and accessible programs and services that target the elimination of companion animal homelessness, abuse, and animal shelter over population.
We envision a state where all companion animals have safe long-term homes, where feral cats are valued and protected, and where euthanasia is no longer used as a form of population control.
Our Core Values:
- Animal Welfare—We believe humans have a special obligation to the companion animals they have produced through domestication. We have a duty to treat these animals humanely, to exercise responsible stewardship for them, and to model this kind of human-animal relationship to the public.
- Alliance Building – We are an inclusive organization that works to overcome personal, philosophical and methodological differences among animal welfare organizations and individuals, seeking ways to recognize common values, pool our resources, and coordinate our efforts to accomplish the common goal of eliminating animal abuse and homelessness.
- Positive Attitude—We believe that members of the public want to and will act in the best interests of companion animals when they are educated about pet overpopulation and can access the necessary resources to solve the problems of animal abuse and homelessness. We emphasize improvements and solutions, and we avoid assigning blame and dwelling on the problems.
- Communication—We strive to maintain clear and open lines of communication among board members, volunteers, employees, donors, allied organizations and the public; we encourage and value feedback from all our constituencies.
- Care and Compassion—We acknowledge and work to understand and respond to the physical and psychological needs of people and animals. We strive to be non-judgmental and to treat all living creatures with respect and kindness. Within the organization we promote the delivery of high-quality care to people and animals by encouraging and supporting the professional development of staff, board members and volunteers.
- Accountability and Transparency—We strive to keep accurate records of our finances and our activities and to make these records available to the public.
- Quality Assurance—All of the services offered by Iowa Humane Alliance will be of the highest possible quality. We will strive to implement only the best practices for all services, and we will seek ways to continually improve the operation and delivery of services.
- Sustainability—We are building a professional organization that will outlive its founders, and we are creating programs that are financially sustainable for the long term.